Thursday, May 17, 2012

Fit for a Queen!

 Diamond Jubilee Tea Party

It's countdown time...
Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee Celebration 
is just a little over two weeks away now.  

I wish I could be in England 
attending some fabulous village street parties 
but since I can't
I'll be celebrating here in the States all Jubilee weekend long
with parties of my own. 

My Diamond Jubilee celebrations will be mostly tea parties 
since I am a huge fan of British afternoon tea. 

 British Tea Mugs

To set the stage for my tea parties
I've been collecting British Union Jack and British "themed" china. 
Thanks to my "very kind and thoughtful" British knitting friends,
(Thank you Jo and Teresa!) 
I've even had wonderful tea mugs sent to me all the way from England
for my Jubilee celebrations!

Union Jack pottery

No Jubilee celebration would be complete without 
Emma Bridgewater's Union Jack pottery!

I've began collecting Emma's Union Jack pattern
ever since I visited the Emma Bridgewater factory last year. 
I knew it would be perfect for my Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

Emma also has a limited-edition Diamond Jubilee range 
which has been a smashing success!
I love this range and special-ordered a few mugs and plates.
Many of the pieces can be personalized and hand painted by artists 
at Emma Bridgewater.  I had my tea mugs personalized with 
"cuppa" on them since that is so "British" to me!

 Queen of Cakes

Besides china, 
I've also purchased some new British cook books
 to make authentic British tea party treats. 

I recently discovered Britain's Mary Berry who is known as the 
"Queen of Cakes"
so I had to buy her book called, 

I also adore the book Vintage Tea Party which is filled with tea party recipes 
and encourages us to bring out our treasured vintage tea things for our tea table.  
The author Carolyn Caldicott owned the World Food Cafe in London's Convent Garden.  
She has been collecting tea recipes ever since she was a child.  
I'm so glad she is sharing them in her darling book! 

So now, I'm off to finalize my Diamond Jubilee Tea Party plans.
On the menu already are:

Scones with Devonshire Cream and Strawberry Jam
Coronation Chicken Sandwiches
Cucumber Sandwiches
Egg and Cress Sandwiches 
Victoria Mini Sponge Cakes
and 
Lemon Tarts

I think her Royal Highness,
would approve!


(In the photos:  Emma Bridgewater Union Jack & Diamond Jubilee pottery, Mason Cash Knitannia Mug, Waitrose Tea Mugs, Vintage Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Mug

No comments: