Tuesday, August 30, 2011

British Flapjacks

 Flapjacks

It's back to school time and do I have the perfect afternoon treat for you...
 British Flapjacks.

Flapjacks in the U.K. are not at all like American flapjacks (pancakes).  British Flapjacks are sweet oat bars that remind me of thick granola bars. 

I had my first British Flapjack in Stow-on-The-Wold at a cute British bakery
in the Cotswolds over 10 years ago.  The first time my husband and I had them we said to each other "these must be the original granola bar!"

I've been collecting Flapjack recipes ever since. 

The Ingredients

Most Flapjack recipes call for just a few basic ingredients:
Oats, Demerara sugar, Golden Syrup and butter.

Golden Syrup is the key ingredient for authentic British Flapjacks.  Not all Americans are familiar with it.  I don't recommend making British Flapjacks unless you have Golden Syrup.  Lyle's Golden Syrup is a brand that is fairly easy to find in America.  I purchased mine at Cost Plus World Market


 Let's Make Some Flapjacks:


Flapjacks are simple to make.

Butter, sugar and golden syrup are heated up over medium heat on the stove top. 

Next the oats and spice mixture are added.  Mix well making sure all the oats are coated. 


The oat mixture is pressed into a well greased 8" x 8" pan
and baked for 15 to 20 minutes.


The Flapjacks are cooled for about 5 minutes and then cut into bar shapes while still in the pan. 

Let them completely cool in the pan before removing them. 

Enjoy with a cup of Yorkshire Tea or PG Tips! 

Truly Great Flapjacks!

My latest batch of Flapjacks is from a recipe in the new
Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazine and it's a keeper!

I also found a similar recipe online at Bon Appetit for British Flapjacks

Next on my list though is to try Sophie Dahl's Golden Flapjacks recipe from
her UK show The Delicious Miss Dahl.  

Sohpie adds coconut, dried mango and dried cherries to her Flapjack version.  

Sounds divine!


(In the photos:  Emma Bridgewater Union Jack pottery.)

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I cannot wait to try Nell's flapjacks. I have the golden syrup waiting. Unfortunately, the magazine has not yet arrived at Loops. It may be held up on the east coast with our Rowan yarn. Let me know how you like Sophie's versions. Anything with dried fruit is alright by me! xxoo