Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Mornings

Banana Bran Muffins

 On Sunday mornings....
I love to bake muffins. 

Banana Bran Muffins are the most popular weekend muffin in our house. 
They are quick and easy to make
and a great way to use up over-ripe bananas. 

My muffin recipe is from my favorite little muffin book, 
Just Out of the Oven

 I love Sunday mornings with "just out of the oven" muffins
and my big mug of Starbucks French Roast coffee. 

Of course, in the afternoon, they are lovely with a cup of tea!

Toppings

Sometimes I like to get creative with this muffin recipe
and add my own flair.

The recipe calls for 1/2 cup oat bran. 
When I don't have oat bran in my pantry,
I substitute rolled oats and the recipe bakes up fine.

I like to add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and
they become Banana Nut Muffins

For Banana Coconut Muffins,  I add 1/2 cup coconut to the batter
and then sprinkle coconut on top before baking.  Yummy! 

For Banana Streusel Muffins, I sprinkle an oatmeal streusel topping over them before baking and they turn out delicious.  Probably my best version!


Muffins by Elizabeth Alston

My little muffin book is one of my favorite cookbooks. 

I have the original edition from 1985. 
Today, most likely, you have to purchase the book second hand...
it's definitely worth finding! 


(In the photos:  Copeland & Garrett Plate and Sabre Toile Spreader)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this muffin recipe! It is a favorite in our house, too, thanks to you. You gave me this book for my wedding shower. We like the Best Blueberry recipe, too.