Sunday, June 29, 2008

Farmers Markets & Summer Baies (Berries)

French Framboise (Raspberries)

There is nothing like fresh produce from the farm, to the farmers market, to your kitchen. The French love their fresh produce and so do we in California.

Here are a few photographs for you to see what Farmers Markets look like in Paris, France and in Northern CA (where I live).

French produce stand, Rue Cler, Paris, France

This is what a food market looks like in Paris, France. On the pedestrian only Rue Clear street there are permanent food stands open every day of the week. The French are famous for planning their meals based on what is fresh at the market that day.

California Strawberries (Fraise)

California is also know for it's abundant produce and love for food. Back in the early 1970's, famed Chef, Alice Waters started the culinary trend "California Cuisine". She introduced the French tradition of using fresh-in season ingredients, locally grown, at Chez Panise her Bay Area restaurant. She is a big advocate for Farmers Markets.

California Berry Farmer


This is what a small Farmers Market looks like in California on a Sunday morning. The berry farmer's strawberries were gorgeous today since it is peak season. They are grown organic with no pesticides.

No matter where you live in the United States, there is a good chance that you, too, are enjoying California strawberries. California supplies our nation with 83% of its strawberries!

Farmers markets are nothing new. I come from a long family line of farmers. Back in the 1800's my ancestors in Pontefract, England would sell at the town's market square. My Dad grew up on a 100 acre farm in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania. As a young boy he remembers his Dad loading up the truck and going in to town to sell fresh produce.

I am a city girl but there are times when I wish I had a little farm. I guess it is in my genes. For now, I shall be content with my little herb garden on my tiny suburban lot and shopping at my local Farmers Markets.

No comments: