Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Making Holiday Gingerbread Scones!

 Gingerbread Scones

"Tis the season to be jolly and enjoy Gingerbread Scones.

Your house will smell just like Christmas when you whip up a batch of these Gingerbread Scones!

I add my own flair to this holiday scone recipe by omitting the raisins, adding a tad more milk and using more spices (don't use more than 1/2 t. of ground cloves though). 

This year I iced them with a cinnamon glaze and they were my best batch ever!

Here's a few of my tips for making scones:

 Always use a floured surface for rolling out the dough
into a 1-inch thick round.

 I like to cut my scones into 8 wedges.

 I use a French Silpat Mat for perfect scone results.

Another tip is to read the reviews of a recipe before you make it.  It's helpful to read where others have had success and failures with a recipe. 

For these scones there were many comments that they tend to be dry.  So, I added a tad more milk to my dough to correct this. 

The best tip of all is do not over bake your scones.  This  recipe says to bake for 25 minutes....mine were perfect baked for only 15 minutes. 



Now for the icing on the scone...

Cinnamon Icing

My cinnamon icing is just an old-fashioned powdered sugar glaze.  I don't really use measurements.

Cinnamon Icing
Powdered sugar
Milk
1 t. vanilla
Cinnamon
Nutmeg

Slowly add milk to the sugar to achieve desired consistency for the icing.
Drizzle on scones. 

Enjoy your Gingerbread scones with a cup of your favorite Christmas tea! 

(In the photos:  Spode Provincial Garden plate, color Cranberry)

2 comments:

Knitique Girl said...

Lisette, Your scones look delicious!

Sarah said...

They look amazing! What a great idea to add spices to the icing!