Friday, May 8, 2015

Singapore Noodles

Singapore Noodle Bowl

I made another wonderful stir-fry tonight...Singapore Noodles.  The recipe is from Grace Young's Stir Frying To The Sky's Edge.  This tasty Asian fusion dish consists of thin rice stick noodles, shrimp, Chinese barbecued pork, green bell pepper and scallions.  It's flavored with curry and a broth you blend which tenderizes the ingredients.  And, a little dash of red pepper flakes gives it just enough heat.  

We had never had Singapore Noodles before.  When I saw the recipe in the book, I knew I wanted to make it.  So a few weeks ago, we ordered Singapore Noodles at our local Chinese restaurant so I could get an authentic taste for them.  After making them tonight, I can say, this is another stir-fry dish that tastes even better cooked at home!  

Page 274 

I was running a bit short on time tonight so to makes things faster and simpler, I substituted (fresh) thin chow mein noodles and Chinese barbecue pork from my local Asian market for the dish.

And by the way, despite it's name, theses noodles supposedly have nothing to do with Singapore.  From what I've read, you are more apt to find them on restaurant menu in Hong Kong, England, Australia, Canada and the United States.  I think I will have to do a fact-check on these noodles with my high school friend Matt Chin who lives in Singapore!  

The next time I make this dish, I will definitely use the thin rice stick noodles and Madras curry powder instead of just curry powder.  Grace says in the recipe "For the best flavor be sure to use a high-quality Madras curry powder."  I love that Grace Young and her recipes....
however I don't think my husband will take me out for Chinese food anymore now that I cook it so well at home!  

2 comments:

Karen said...

I could never get my husband "into" Chinese food until I started to make it at home. Your noodles look amazing Lisette!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Karen! So glad I discovered Grace Young and her cookbooks! :)