Saturday, April 25, 2015

Anzac Biscuits

Yep, I made Anzac Biscuits


Today,  April 25th commemorates the 100 anniversary of the ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) Gallipoli landings in 1915.

During the First World War, sweethearts, wives and mothers baked these biscuits to send to "the boys" overseas.  So I made a batch for my sweetheart with a recipe from Australia's  Donna Hay 

 Lyle's Golden Syrup

You'll need Lyle's Golden Syrup to make these cookies.  Lyle's Golden Syrup is thicker and sweeter than corn syrup.  Lyle's cane syrup gives the biscuits a chewy and sticky texture along with a wonderful richness.  Here in America, you can find it at World Market or a local British import shop if you have one. 

 Anzac Biscuits with Coconut

I just learned yesterday from my Australian friend Sally, that early recipes for these biscuits did not contain coconut.  We love coconut so I have always used recipes which contain coconut.  In previous years, I have baked Anzac biscuits with a recipe from Cooking Light.  

Anzac Biscuits

Here is the link for Donna Hay's Anzac biscuits recipe:
Anzac Biscuits.  Enjoy!

No comments: