Thursday, August 28, 2008

Anastasia Kusmi Tea

Anastasia Kusmi Tea

Ahhh...the aroma and taste of French tea!

My latest tea find is Anastasia by Kusmi Tea. It's a French tea blend with a Russian past! It is inspired and named after the mysterious Russian Grand Duchess Anastasia.
Anastasia is a French Earl Grey blend with citron, et fleur d' oranger. English translation: a Russian blend of China and Ceylon teas with natural scents of bergamot (Earl Grey) lemon, lime and orange blossom. It is delicious as a French iced tea!

Kusmi Tea celebrated 140 years of tea business in 2007. It was founded by a Russian peasant in 1867 by a P.M. Kousmichoff (1840-1908). During the Russian Revolution his son moved the company's headquarters to Paris. Kousmichoff's Grandson eventually sold the business. Today Kusmi still operates with it's work shops in Paris.

I have often admired the baroque style Kusmi tea caddy tins in Paris. For years I thought it was a Russian Tea brand. After all, it's packaging and tea blend names are so Russian! I recently discovered that it is a French tea company, so voila, I had to try it.

Lucky for me I was at Dean and Deluca in the Napa Valley last week. D & D just happens to carry a small variety of Kusmi Teas amongst their import teas. I chose the Anastasia blend. I later discovered it is one of their top sellers, rivaling Prince Vladimir at the top spot. Oui, I will try Prince Vladimir next!

The next time I am in Paris, I hope to visit the Kusmi Tea store and restaurant.
56, rue de Seine, Paris, 75017

If you get there before me...let me know how it is!

No comments: