Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day!

The May Pole Dance!

Happy May Day!

Dancing around the Maypole is an ancient rite of Spring. In Victorian times it was performed at women's colleges. In America it was celebrated at at elementary schools up to the late 1950's. My Mother remembers in grade school celebrating May Day. The sang "May Day, Play Day" and danced with ribbons around a tether ball pole!

May Pole Cake & Cupcakes
Martha Stewart

Leave it to Martha Stewart to come up with an adorable May Day cake! This would be pretty easy to replicate (with a wooden dowel and ribbons) if you just happen to be going to a May Day Garden Party!

No matter how you chose to celebrate May Day...be sure to wear a flower in your hair and do a little dance!

5 comments:

Ruth said...

I remember celebrating May Day in the 1960s at my elementary school. I think the tradition should be revived. I love May Day. Thanks for posting this!:-)

Unknown said...

Ruth, I love May Day, too!

I would love to have a May Day Garden Tea Party some day!

Ruth said...

We should plan on it, friend:-)

Unknown said...

Happy May Day. I just stumbled onto your gorgeous blog in search for Tricia Guild's web site. Thank you, I read your post about her. I totally agree that she is the Queen of Color. I am so happy that I found you, I love your blog.
Karen

Unknown said...

Just stopped back to say, I just had to share your blog with my friends. So, I mentioned you and linked to your blog from today's post.
Karen